Monday, June 7, 2010

Onterrible? maybe, not

Despite the fact that I dig Ottawa, I’ve been hating on Toronto steadily for the past 14 years. Why? I really have no idea – maybe it started back in the day, when I would hear people from Toronto saying “this place sucks, its not like Toronto” or “there’s no steak like Toranta” and on and on. Nevertheless, I made it clear that I was not into the place commonly known as the “centre of the universe.”

A couple of weeks back I had to make my maiden voyage to Toronto for a family wedding, and tried to do so with an open mind and no preconceived notions. Upon landing, my first reaction was “damn, its hot here.” And hot it was, we’re talking between 29-35 degrees, it was awesome; especially after dealing with the crap weather we had been having out here.

Time was limited, so we had to maximize everything; including a super fast trip into the downtown core. Yeah, I barely saw anything but from what I did, I actually liked. People were friendly, and there was cool little Donair / hot dog spots all over the shop. We also got to checkout the cool little area of Oaksville, which reminded me of Kerrisdale in Van. We had some killer ice cream, great coffee and an amazing antipasto plate, ahh life was good.

In the end, I came to the realization that this place that I had spent so much time talking crap about really wasn’t that bad. In fact, I actually kinda liked it. Additionally, I got to reconnect with some awesome family members, while also meeting a bunch of amazing people. while their hockey team does indeed suck, the place that I lumped under the moniker “Onterrible” really isn’t that bad.

every city needs a good burger joint, and in TO its motorcycle burger!

the evidence of the goodness

No comments: