Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Moderne Burger - the quest continues

So the quest for Vancouver’s best burger continues with a recent trip to Moderne Burger in kits. I had heard a lot about Moderne Burger over the years and even remember checking the place out back in the day; additionally, Matt from Vancouver Slop rates the place high so I knew I should check it out again. So last weekend, we checked out Moderne Burger to see where it rates.

Walking into Moderne Burger you instantly think that you are being transported back in the day, as the décor, music and everything is classic 50’s diner style. Usually I hate on period places, but this I actually digged as it was bright, clean and the servers were friendly without being overbearing. It reminded me of the diner in back to the future where Biff says to Marty “Mcfly, I thought I told you to never come in here” awesome

"he's wearing a life preserver, dork thinks he's gonna drown"
Checking out the menu, the choices are pretty straightforward with Burgers being the main fare. I immediately ordered up the Moderne steak burger with cheese, and bacon thus ensuring that the same type of burger is tested throughout my quest, while the wife ordered up the Turkey Burger with fries, and probably the best extra thick vanilla shake that I have ever had; which we shared amongst the 3 of us.

In a matter of minutes the burger came up fresh, hot and perfectly cooked. The wife’s burger came with a mountain of fries and also came perfectly cooked. My first impressions of the burger were that it is classically made traditional burger. The patty is fresh and not seasoned so the taste is not as bold as you would find at Vera’s, but it is definitely tasty. The bacon was also great, as was the bold cheddar that they threw on for me.

truly a glorious sight!

Overall, I would say that Moderne Burger makes one hell of a good burger as it’s a good size and value for the money, plus it’s super tasty. I wasn’t overly hyped on the bun, as it seemed a bit thick for my liking, so that’s where the burger lost ground to Vera’s or Sophies. But if you are looking for a classic, traditional burger I would definitely hit up Moderne Burger. If you are like me and have a bit of a sweet tooth, skip the fries and get the burger and an extra thick shake; you’ll be over the moon, seriously.

No comments: